[Clips] NSA Data Mining Is Legal, Necessary, Sec. Chertoff Says

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Fri Jan 20 18:05:29 PST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

>   "I think it's important to point out," Homeland Security Secretary Michael
>   Chertoff told me in an interview, "that there's no evidence that this is a
>   program designed to achieve political ends or do something nefarious."

The whole reason that Chertoff "feel(s) it is important to point out" that
there is no "nefarious" undertones is because this argument is a
deliberate misdirection.  It doesn't matter *why* he's breaking the law,
what matters is that he IS breaking the law.

Either it's legal or it isn't - discussing the motive is irrelevent.

Pay no attention to the fascist behind the White House curtain...

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

'The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments
it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest
limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of
the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext
whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the
brink of destruction.'

St. George Tucker