Fwd: [Clips] Re: The Backhoe: A Real Cyberthreat?

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 18:26:58 PST 2006

When I worked for Citicorp in the late 80s we switched over much of our
backbone to private fiber.  At the time I was shown detailed fiber routes
for Sprint's network and after the meeting discussed how easy it would be
for a disgruntled former employee to dig up multiple locations along their
the often rural and remote routes and sabotage the entire network.  The
scenario that particularly concerned me was trenching and installing
electromechanical guillotines triggered by receive-only terrestrial pagers
since a multitude of locations could be severed in any order and at
will.  Although it might be possible to radio locate these it could be a
grueling job.  Meanwhile the saboteur could extort at will and even plant
new ones after areas had been declared clean.

Steve