[Clips] Ted Kennedy, Russ Feingold Discuss Impeachment

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Jan 8 20:08:51 PST 2006

 Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:07:59 -0500
 To: Philodox Clips List <clips at philodox.com>
 From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
 Subject: [Clips] Ted Kennedy, Russ Feingold Discuss Impeachment
 Sender: clips-bounces at philodox.com

 <http://www.newsmax.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/1/8/141339.shtml?s=et>

 Reprinted from NewsMax.com

 Sunday, Jan. 8, 2006 2:11 p.m. EST

 Ted Kennedy, Russ Feingold Discuss Impeachment

 Two leading Senate Democrats declined on Sunday to rule out the possibility
 that President Bush could be impeached over his decision to wiretap
 terrorists who make phone calls to the U.S.

 Asked about Rep. John Lewis' complaint that the Bush surveillance program
 could be an impeachable offense, Sen. Ted Kennedy told ABC's "This Week":
 "I'm concerned about the abuses of executive power in the areas of torture
 and the areas of spying - and about how we're treating individuals in terms
 of the court systems."

 The Massachusetts Democrat said he agreed with Supreme Court Justice Sandra
 Day O'Connor, whom he quoted as saying: "We're at war but war is not a
 blank check to a president to override the rights and liberties of the
 Constitution."

 "I don't believe that this president understands that," Kennedy added.

 In separate comments covered by the Vermont Guardian, Sen. Russ Feingold
 told reporters that there needs to be "an orderly and dignified"
 investigation into the Bush surveillance program.

 "If there was a legal violation there needs to be accountability," he said.
 "You can't put the cart before the horse, but I would not rule out any form
 of accountability."

 That would include impeachment, Feingold reportedly added.

 Asked by a supporter whether there was a way citizens could impeach Bush
 "here and now," the Wisconsin Democrat replied: "I'm not going to prejudge
 what that accountability should be."