[e-gold-list] Dr. Jackson - Business Week Article Response

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Jan 6 19:17:36 PST 2006

 Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:15:41 -0500
 To: "Philodox Clips List" <clips at philodox.com>
 From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
 Subject:  [e-gold-list] Dr. Jackson - Business Week Article Response

 Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:39:52 -0500
 To: "e-gold Discussion" <e-gold-list at talk.e-gold.com>
 From: "Bill Cunningham" <bcunningham at businessadvisersinc.com>

 In on-going conversation with Dr. Jackson, he replied to a recent Business
 Week article with the following letter.
 He has agreed to allow me to share it on this forum as well as other
 information outlets.

 Letter from Dr. Douglas Jackson; Chairman, e-gold, Ltd.

 e-goldF  has recently been the subject of a slanderous and unfounded
 article in Business Week. e-gold strongly refutes the allegations and
 presumptions of this article. The article chose to focus through anecdote
 and suspicion only on an exception - criminal abuse - and ignores the
 overwhelming majority of e-gold usage. It also fails to note that all
 online payment mechanisms including credit cards and intermediaries such
 as PayPal are targeted by criminals,likely at a much greater magnitude
 than e-gold, and fails to relate the very proactive steps e-gold takes to
 eliminate any criminal behavior involving e-gold.

 e-gold and its Operator, Gold & Silver Reserve (G&SRF), including G&SR's
 exchange service OmniPayF in cooperation with the United States Government
 and pursuant to a lawfully issued written request, did allow an
 examination of the e-gold and OmniPay computer systems and data. The
 examination occurred on December 16th after normal business hours so as to
 avoid disrupting access to the system. The examination utilized the full
 resources of e-gold's system and prevented customer access. We were told
 by the government examiners that the outage would be for a few hours,
 however, due to the volume of data maintained by e-gold for its customers'
 protection, a surprise to the examiners, the examination occupied e-gold's
 computing capacity for 36 hours. e-gold apologizes for any inconvenience
 of the system down time caused by the government's request. No charges
 have been filed against e-gold, G&SR, OmniPay or any of its principals.

 e-gold operates legally and does not condone persons attempting to use
 e-gold for criminal activity. e-gold has a long history of cooperation
 with law enforcement agencies in the US and worldwide, providing data and
 investigative assistance in response to lawful requests.

 I'm proud of what we have accomplished so far with e-gold. e-gold, now in
 its 10th year online, is growing exponentially because of a network
 effect, a global cascade of Users telling their friends who then tell
 their friends. For the first time since our launch in 1996, this growth is
 providing the revenue and resources needed for e-gold to accelerate
 technical development and other refinements to make it more reliable and
 even less hospitable to those who would seek to abuse it.

 We are processing the same volume of transactions and growing at the same
 exponential pace that PayPal was in the second quarter of 2000. One
 difference, though, is that they had to give away $tens of millions of
 their investors' money to build a critical mass of user balances and were
 continuing a burn rate of about $10 million per month during this period.
 Altogether they burned through about $275 million of capital losses before
 their IPO.

 e-gold, in contrast, lacking significant outside investment:

 o has attained a circulation larger than Canada's official gold reserves
 currently 3.46 metric tonnes of gold, equivalent to about $55 million at
 current exchange rates).

 o has web traffic surpassing etrade.com and citi.com and is neck and neck
 with kitco.com as the most heavily trafficked gold related site on the Web

 o settles 50 to 60 thousand user-to-user payments per day, a daily value
 of about $10 million

 o has active Users in every country, (including more than 150,000in
 China)despite our lack so far of foreign language versions - a high
 priority on our to-do list e-gold is the only payment mechanism that is
 truly global, enabling any merchant to accept payment online even if the
 payer lives in a third world country,has no credit card, or is perhaps
 'unbanked' altogether.

 e-gold enables the migrant worker of modest means to send value back to
 his family in Mexico or Bangladesh at a fraction of the cost of
 conventional international remittance mechanisms. e-gold alone is free of
 chargeback risk, yet the fee for receiving payment in e-gold is a tiny
 fraction of those charged by any other systems.

 Thanks to e-gold, for the first time in history, normal people of modest
 means worldwide have the option of using currency that is designed from
 the ground up to be immune to debasement, with a governance model that
 precludes even its management and founders from having the power to
 subvert it.

 Gold & Silver Reserve has been operating for over nine years. Seeking to
 comply with every applicable law, G&SR has reached out to the Government
 dozens of times, has repeatedly met with officials from the Internal
 Revenue Service, the FBI, SEC and a variety of other Federal agencies, and
 has been told q in no uncertain terms q that we were operating legally and
 in full compliance with all laws, rules and regulations. Additionally, the
 Government has requested from us q on more than three hundred occasions q
 information regarding individuals it believed to be lawbreakers. Gold &
 Silver Reserve complied with every single request in a professional and
 timely fashion. Numerous Government officials have gone so far as to
 commend us in writing for our efforts in complying with their requests and
 aiding them in their investigations.

 Very recently, however, the Government concluded that it was unable to
 lregulaten our business under any current statutes or regulations. Rather
 than moving Congress to enact legislation, the Government apparently chose
 to undertake to regulate us under pre-existing statutes which are totally
 and utterly inapplicable to our business. To do so, the case the
 Government brought against Gold & Silver Reserve centered around false
 statements and fabrications made to a Magistrate Judge in Washington, D.C.
 A week later, when challenged by that Judge, the Government, fearing it
 would lose its case filed a second suit against Gold & Silver Reserve. We
 are now addressing that action and are confident that we will be
 victorious in a very short time.

 Both OmniPay and e-gold have been substantially harmed. Both sites were
 off-line altogether for 36 hours - an interval during which we were at a
 loss to know what to announce or even how to announce it. There were other
 direct interventions as well that I am not yet at liberty to discuss that
 nearly crippled OmniPay's ability to honor its obligations to and on
 behalf of users. The worst effect of course is on our reputation. This
 irresponsible smear piece will surely impair our efforts to build
 strategic relationships with the host of businesses and individuals that
 would benefit from an embrace of e-gold.

 Let me be very clear. e-gold in no manner condones persons or
 organizations attempting to use e-gold to support criminal acts. The exact
 opposite is true. e-gold limits accounts that are suspect of illicit
 activity and has a long history of cooperation with law enforcement
 agencies.

 There are two elements that make e-gold about the dumbest choice a
 criminal could make if seeking to obfuscate a money trail or otherwise
 hide the proceeds of crime.

 1. it is impossible for a general user of e-gold to send/add money(value
 in any form) into the system... he can only get e-gold by receiving an
 e-gold Spend from someone who already has some.

 2. there's a permanent record of all transfers, that is, a permanent
 record of the entire lineage of every particle of value in the e-gold
 system.

 There is nothing "anonymous and untraceable" about e-gold. e-gold Spends
 settle by book entry - it isn't so-called "digital cash".

 e-gold is not about crime. e-gold is not a hospitable environment for
 criminals. e-gold maintains an efficient and highly capable investigative
 staff to aid in the identification, apprehension and prosecution of any
 criminal abusing the system. Our staff has participated in hundreds of
 investigations supporting the FBI, FTC, IRS, DEA, SEC, USPS, and others.
 This is the reality of every payment system, the need to aid in rooting
 out criminal abuse, whether it is child pornographers taking advantage of
 the multiple layers and indirection of credit card middlemen, or smurfs
 aggregating cash via international remittance processors or even state
 lotteries.

 e-gold has taken a proactive approach, reaching out to law enforcement
 agencies and NGO's (Non-Governmental Organization) to foster closer
 cooperation in combating crime online. For example, e-gold is a charter
 member of the Financial Coalition to eradicate Child Pornography,
 organized by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, along
 with Visa, MasterCard, Microsoft, AOL, PayPal, First Data and some of the
 major banks.

 I hope to have additional and useful facts shortly and will communicate
 them when appropriate. I can assure you e-gold is up and running,
 supporting its customers, and continuing to grow.

 Dr. Douglas Jackson

 Bill Cunningham
 Business Advisers
 bcunningham at baiadviser.com
 321-773-4385
 www.businessadvisersinc.com

 "Dedicated to Making Your Success a Reality"

 ---
 You are currently subscribed to e-gold-list as: rah at shipwright.com

 Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold
 account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart
 keystroke loggers and common viruses.

 --
 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA

44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA