NY Times editors decline to comment on publication delay

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Jan 1 01:18:04 PST 2006

As we've all read by now, the NY Times delayed publishing its article
on domestic eavesdropping for a year.  The Public Editor of the Times
-- nominally responsible to the readers -- tried to investigate the
reasons for the delay, and in particular wehther or not the article
should have been published before the election.  He reports in today's
paper (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/opinion/01publiceditor.html)
that the executive and editor and the publisher of the Times have
decline to provide any explanation whatsoever for the delay: "there is
really no way to have a full discussion of the back story without
talking
about when and how we knew what we knew, and we can't do that."

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to

----- End forwarded message -----