A New Class of Unsafe Primes

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:48:21 PST 2006

On 2/27/06, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> The IACR ePrint archive contains a paper from 2002 titled "A New Class of
> Unsafe Primes", http://eprint.iacr.org/2002/109, which proposes a fast way to
> find a prime factor p of an integer n when 4p - 1 has the form db^2, where d =
> { 3, 11, 19, 43, 67, 163 }.  I haven't been able to find any references to
> this anywhere, is this something like the p +/- 1 factoring methods where the
> values they're effective against are so unlikely that they can be safely
> ignored, or is it just that no-one's ever noticed this paper?

i'd be interested to know what you find out.

----

[[[
totally unrelated commentary:
i dreamed recently i was an old man with a failing liver
(E_TOO_MUCH_DEFCON)  performing one last bemused retrospective on life
before my session expired.  i chuckled over the use of public key
encryption in a world with common large qubit quantum computers: the
relative key strengths now in use were measured in killowatts of
computation sustained over a minimum time period for key pair
generation on dedicated hardware with open ended storage (meaning
whatever you could generate within a lifetime of key pair computation
could be stored reasonably on a common storage medium)

i recall a very strong key pair started at 64 kilowatts over 100 days
but was at least conjectured to require a coherent state (raw qubit
brute force) larger than anything possible to build in our solar
system.

nonces, digests, symmetric secrets and one time pads for key exchange
were all still measured in bytes though... *grin*
]]

something else of potential relevance:

---cut---