[IP] more on WORTH READING "Total Information Awareness" - secretly funded in defiance of Congress]]]

Dave Farber dave at farber.net
Sat Feb 25 16:40:49 PST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] WORTH READING "Total Information Awareness" - secretly
funded in defiance of Congress]]
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:41:51 -0800
From: Lee Tien <tien at eff.org>
To: dave at farber.net

Dave,

The problem IMHO is that killed programs can be and are reanimated in
this secret, black-budget, nudge-wink underground out of public view,
not that privacy advocates sought to stop TIA.

The "you naive fools drove it underground" attitude is a bit like
blaming the Supreme Court, Congress, and the Constitution for the
president's warrantless surveillance program:   "You really shouldn't
have insisted on procedural/substantive restraints and
accountability, because you're just forcing me to do it secretly."
(Would that privacy advocates had a tiny fraction of the power
implied here!)

Put another way, the programs' proponents don't seem to like
meaningful civil-liberties accountability and have institutional
escape hatches for avoiding such.

Accordingly, I think it's dumb to criticize privacy advocates in this
or other similar contexts.
--Why not blame those who resurrected or permitted the resurrection
of the "more potentially nefarious bits"?
--Why not blame those who didn't continue to fund the privacy and
security research?*

More important, how do we create truly workable public
accountability/oversight mechanisms for a politically powerful,
extremely secretive executive branch?  Sadly, I no longer believe
that  congressional intelligence committees provide meaningful
oversight on civil-liberties issues.

Lee

*My recollection is that the "privacy appliance" (Genisys Privacy
Protection, Teresa Lunt) either wasn't part of the original TIA
portfolio (see http://www.eff.org/Privacy/TIA/overview.php, where we
presented the TIA program as it was when we first learned about it)
or was buried inside Genisys and then trotted out in response to
privacy concerns.   Also see Poindexter's presentation at DARPAtech
2002 near the bottom of http://www.eff.org/Privacy/TIA/, which
mentions Genisys but not Genisys Privacy Protection.