[IP] more on "if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it

Dave Farber dave at farber.net
Sun Feb 19 12:16:48 PST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "if you are not doing anything wrong, why
should you worry about it?"]
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:10:17 -0500
From: Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com>
To: dave at farber.net
CC: ip at v2.listbox.com, EEKid at aol.com
<27DC3839-A6BF-4058-B00E-C4001E8719D5 at farber.net>

Here's another one from Chicago, about requiring cameras in private
businesses.  Is there a coordinated PR campaign afoot?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-02-14-chicago-cameras_x.htm

CHICAGO b Surveillance cameras b aimed at government buildings, train
platforms and intersections here b might soon be required at corner
taverns and swanky nightclubs.

Mayor Richard Daley wants to require bars open until 4 a.m. to install
security cameras that can identify people entering and leaving the
building. Other businesses open longer than 12 hours a day, including
convenience stores, eventually would have to do the same.

Daley's proposed city ordinance adds a dimension to security measures
installed after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The proliferation of security cameras b especially if the government
requires them in private businesses b troubles some civil liberties
advocates.

"There is no reason to mandate all of those cameras unless you one day
see them being linked up to the city's 911 system," says Ed Yohnka of
the Illinois American Civil Liberties Union. "We have perhaps reached
that moment of critical mass when people ... want to have a dialogue
about how much of this is appropriate."

[...]