[Clips] Skype Use May Make Eavesdropping Passe

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:22:03 PST 2006

On 2/16/06, R. A. Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
> ... the fastest-growing technology for Internet calls appears to
>   have the potential to make eavesdropping a thing of the past.
>   Luxembourg-based Skype
>   Skype keys are 256 bits long - twice as
>   long as the 128-bit keys used to send credit card numbers over the
>   Internet. The security is much more than doubled - in theory, Skype's
>   256-bit keys would take trillions of times longer to crack than 128-bit
>   keys, which are themselves regarded as practically impossible to break by
>   current means.
>   Security experts are not completely convinced that Skype is as secure as it
>   seems, because the company hasn't made its technology open to review. In
>   the cryptographic community, opening software blueprints to outsiders who
>   can point out errors is considered to be the safest way to go. Because of
>   the complex mathematics involved, a properly designed cryptographic system
>   can be unbreakable even if its method is known to outsiders.
>   Kurt Sauer, Skype's chief security officer, ... said Skype "cooperates fully with
>   all lawful requests from
>   relevant authorities." He would not give particulars on the type of support
>   provided.
>   "What you and I are saying is much less important than the fact that you
>   and I are talking," Schneier says. "Against traffic analysis, encryption is
>   irrelevant."

yeah, better than nothing, but how far do you trust a faceless corp
peddling closed source warez?  (same goes for Google, etc.  the recent
announcement to make zPhone open source is a big win IMHO)

i'd love to see a high order analysis of these 256bit nonces used for
keying skype.  use of entropy on windoze has traditionally been pretty
poor.

my favorite example to date: http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/newtcp/ -
"Strange Attractors and TCP/IP Sequence Number Analysis"

p.s.  speaking of google, can we all agree they are well on the path
of evil?  logging all chats?  multiple computer search?  glad i only
use gmail for public comms...