SafeNet to Buy nCipher?

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Feb 16 05:44:33 PST 2006

--- begin forwarded text

  Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:37:16 -0500
  To: Philodox Clips List <clips at philodox.com>
  From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
  Subject: SafeNet to Buy nCipher?

<http://www.techworld.com/blogs/index.cfm?blogID=1&entryID=144&printerfriendly=1>

  www.techworld.com : the UK's infrastructure & network knowledge centre

  Decrypting nCipher

  John Dunn
  February 16, 2006

  Well done Alex van Someren, the cheery and mightily on-the-ball CEO and
  co-founder of Cambridge encryption company nCipher. News reached us last
  week that the company is in talks to be acquired by SafeNet for something
  around the $150 million mark.

  I say "encryption company" even though I know van Someren wouldn't like it
  to be pigeonholed in such a narrow manner.

  When the company was founded a decade ago by him and his brother, Nicko van
  Someren, encryption look like a geek's last refuge. Latterly, it has turned
  out to be a decent business as people have woken up to the fundamental
  power of the concept to stop the malevolent running off with the most
  valuable thing any company has in its possession - information.

  We understand that CEO Van Someren will not stay with the company though
  his brother - considered the engineering whiz - will. Does Alex have
  another company in him as some have speculated? We will see. Techworld
  interviewed him a while back, so judge for yourself.

  Another good company bites the dust or will SafeNet confound the law that
  seems to have ruled technology takeovers of recent years and take nCipher's
  intriguing technology onwards and upwards?

  --
  44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA