A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Dec 21 05:27:46 PST 2006

At 8:52 PM +1300 12/21/06, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> The "kool-aid" reference may be slightly unfamiliar to non-US readers,
>it's a reference to the 1978 Jonestown mass-suicide

Actually, it's a slightly older reference. It comes from Ken Kesey's "Acid
Test" LSD parties in the Bay area, Stanford included, in the late 1960's,
as in, "Have you have the Kool-Aid yet?", which was, of course, a reference
to the garbage can full of Kool-Aid (tm) drink mix slowly being shoved into
the middle of the dance floor. See, not coincidentally, Tom Wolfe's "The
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test", for details.

Handed down through Deadheads, et at., to Silicon Valley, to mean, roughly,
"do you believe the company 'vision'", um, thing...

Not only more charitable and less gruesome, but much more in keeping with
actual facts, like "the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field", and so on.

I blame the MBA/IBM/Novell/Wintel crowd for the disparaging Jim Jones
reference, myself. :-).

Cheers,
RAH
"All those dayglow freaks who used to paint the face
They've joined the human race
Some things will never change"
--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA