Disguising a Tor node?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 03:43:55 PST 2006

OK, more dumb questions about hiding a Tor node.

Even though the current list of Tor node IP addresses is basically public,
I'm not 100% convinced it woul have to be.

Well, exit and entry nodes perhaps have to be public, but what about nodes
inside the cloud? OK, anything sent to one of those nodes by an edge node
has to use a unencrypted IP address on the packet header, right? BUT, the
same machines that house the Tor nodes could (and probably do, right?) house
other services as well...a packet sent to the Tor node has to be sent to the
right socket and layer 4 service. Right? And THAT can be encrypted, and
probably already is by Tor nodes. (Now remember I'm not a datacom guy...)

If the list of interior Tor nodes is encrypted and only machine-readable by
other Tor nodes, AND if we have a few additional  services residing on the
same machines as the Tor nodess, then a packet sent to a machine housing a
Tor node may or may not actually be going to a Tor node.

If the operators of that machine are also unaware of the precise
service-bundle existing on the machine (not unreasonable as long as someone
is paying them for the consumed bandwidth) AND if packets destined for that
machine can reasonably be said to be accessing a non-TOR service AND if the
IP address list of interior TOR nodes is encrypted, is the Tor node now
disguised? Seems to me it would be difficult for some  authorities to track
down the location of some Tor nodes.

Or am I missing something? Like I said, I'm no datacom guy, but hiding a Tor
node deosn't seem impossible to me.

-TD