redgene might be gone

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 09:11:52 PST 2006

Hey...just a dumb question by somebody who doesn't write code (anymore...I
was HW anyway so never wrote a lot).

Why is it necessary for a Tor node to be identifiable by authorities? Is it
possible to disguise it as something else?

-TD

>From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>To: coderman <coderman at gmail.com>, cypherpunks at jfet.org
>Subject: Re: redgene might be gone
>Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 20:40:21 +0100
>
>On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 10:59:44AM -0800, coderman wrote:
> > On 12/7/06, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > >I might have my (rented, colocated) redgene Tor server,
> > >which isn't due to expire before 12 December and has so
> > >far been spared by the recent German Tor crackdown been seized by law
> > >enforcement as evidence. Then, it might just be down. More as this
> > >develops (when I get an answer for my trouble ticket, that is).
> > >Needless, to say, there are no logs, and not even any content
> > >there at all.
> >
> > ouch.  was it a middle or exit?  were tor keys on disk in plaintext?
>
>Exit node. Keys in plaintext. Still no word on the trouble ticket.
>Either way, the damage is minimal, given that the node is offline,
>and due to expire by 12 Dec.
>
>--
>Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org
>ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820            http://www.ativel.com
>8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
>
>[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which
>had a name of signature.asc]

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
list.