"A million bucks in stolen calls"...Details

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Aug 26 14:52:05 PDT 2006

I was deleting old emails and re-read this one, noticing something I had
missed the first time:

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Tyler Durden wrote:

<SNIP>
> Two Charged in VOIP Hacking Scandal

<SNIP>
> Step One. The men obscured the origin of the calls by sending them through
> an "intermediary." The feds believe Pena, with help from Moore, scanned the
> networks of companies all over the world looking for network ports to use
> for routing calls. The New Jersey U.S. Attorney's Office said it obtained
> records from AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T - message board) showing that, between June
> and October of last year, Moore ran more than 6 million scans for those
> susceptible ports.

ATT had *records* of *port scans*, going back 12-18 *months*???

How?

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

"Surely the larger lesson learned from that day is that other men, all
over the world, took inspiration not from the heroism of the rescuers in
New York or the passengers flying over Pennsylvania, but from the 19
hijackers - the twisted brilliance of their scheme and their willingness
to sacrifice their lives to make a political and, as they saw it,
religious statement."

Richard Corliss/Time Magazine