[IP] When suburban moms embrace the surveillance society

d f tweney dylan at tweney.com
Fri Aug 4 02:39:00 PDT 2006

"Sheepdom" hardly seems apt -- what sheep polices the other sheep,
after all? That's the dog's job, and in this case the dog wasn't
doing it.

This is an inevitable result of ubiquitous surveillance. As YouTube
proves, we are far more adept at watching each other than the
government could possibly be. In the future, it's not "Big Brother"
that will be watching us, but millions of Little Brothers.

Maybe that's a little creepy. On the other hand it can work both
ways. And if the surveillance extends to the halls of government (and
those who work in government) then we will have an unprecedented
level of transparency into the workings of our democracy. We've
already got C-SPAN -- what we need now are a hundred thousand webcams
all over Washington. Especially in our representatives' offices.

--

Dylan Tweney           writer/editor
dylan at tweney.com       http://dylan.tweney.com