[IP] NYT: U.S. Wins Access to Reporter Phone Records

Brock N. Meeks bmeeks at cox.net
Wed Aug 2 06:17:46 PDT 2006

Hail hardy and good f-ing luck to the Feds.

As a reporter I when dealing with sensitive sources I NEVER called
them on a
phone that could be traced to them or myself nor would I ever have
them call
me on a phone that could be traced back to them.

And here I'm talking about sources that handling information that was
classified or "hot" in some big way; not talking about a congressional
staffer or agency employee leaking me a draft copy of a GAO report or
something like that.

I would instruct sources, either during face to face meetings or
"talking"
to a group of potential sources (like law enforcement) in an electronic
forum, to buy phone cards and make calls to me from public phones or
from
disposable cell phones.

I had more than two dozen Federal Air Marshals as sources and they all
communicated with me using phone cards.

Yes, all very James Bond, to be sure.  But for years I was afraid
that just
this sort of thing might happen one day, either legally or illegally.

I know several other reporters that operate like this as well.

--Brock