[dave at farber.net: [IP] More Surveillance Cams in NYC]

lists lists at kriptik.org
Tue Apr 25 17:42:35 PDT 2006

On 25 Apr 2006 13:51:10 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> From: David Farber <dave at farber.net>
> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:43:49 -0400

> From: Elaine Newton <enewton at cmu.edu>
> Date: April 24, 2006 6:16:45 PM EDT

> The New York Times
>
> April 23, 2006 Sunday
>   Late Edition - Final
>
> SECTION: Section 4; Column 1; Week in Review Desk; IDEAS & TRENDS;
> Pg. 14

>       Many of these newer cameras can pan, tilt and zoom, and are
> networked
> through the Internet, so video images can be viewed and stored
> centrally. They
> are often purchased with homeland security funds, meant for use against
> terrorism as well as street crime.

This reminds me of a time a buddy and I were presenting to a group at a
rather large company that had offices scattered about the country. The
presentation was going to be video conferenced across multiple offices, and
one of the people was teaching us how to control the various cameras at the
remote offices. During this tutorial, a rather attractive member of the
opposite sex was setting up one of the remote offices, so the person
conducting the demonstration decided zoom would be a good thing for us to
learn at that moment and zoomed in on certain parts of this remote person's
anatomy. I could only imagine the amount of money that rather large company
had spent on "appropriate conduct training" for that person, and it all went
right out the window in an instant.

Kinda makes you think about the ways in which these cameras will be abused
by those intended to use them.

-Andrew