Federal Agencies Secretly Sharing Passenger Data

Barry Steinhardt BSTEINHARDT at aclu.org
Fri Apr 21 03:50:54 PDT 2006

Dave,

It has come to light that Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
signed a secret agreement with the Centers for Disease Control to
share airline passenger information. This despite the fact that a
public comment period is underway before the CDC over that agency's
effort to institute its own CAPPS II/Secure Flight-style airline data
collection regime.  And, despite the fact that such sharing appears
to violate the conditions of the US-EU agreement that was reached to
allow the sharing of European passenger data with the US government.

The secret agreement was referenced in a little-noticed paragraph in
comments filed with the CDC by the Air Transport Association.

We have filed a FOIA seeking information on the agreement.  A press
release as well as our FOIA and our previous comments on the issue to
the CDC can be found athttp://www.aclu.org/privacy/spying/
25246prs20060421.html

An article on the secret agreement, which was first noticed by
Federal Computer Week, is online at http://www.fcw.com/
article94142-04-20-06-Web

The ATA's comments to the CDC, which includes the paragraph
disclosing the agreement on page 5, is at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/
dq/nprm/comments/2006Mar1_ATA.pdf

Barry Steinhardt

Director Technology and Liberty Project