[Details on the AT&T/NSA wiretapping]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 12 04:11:47 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:37:15PM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> >in any case, i'd like to see encryption become the norm for even
> >trivial communications. like the Azureus enhancements Steve mentioned
> >this can be done in a simple and intuitive manner - it will just take
> >a lot of effort...
>
> Absolutely. This was another idea we kicked around on Cypherpunks
> briefly...like spreading some kind of virus that will encrypt P2P traffic.
> Of course, many people won't even notice the virus is there, which is cool.

An interesting way to increase background encrypted traffic and
bypassing NAT tunneling braindeadness is to package the crypto
inside the consumer router brick.

I've just reflashed a couple Linksys WRT54GS with OpenWRT,
and OpenVPN and Tor are in the standard package depository
(there are many others, including Asterisk). The hardware is
so cheap that you could easily distribute preflashed
routers to end users as authentication token and part
of a darknet-like product.

Some of the Linksys even have crypto accelerators (largely 3DES, I think).
I'm not sure how much this is supported already.