Privacy, Anonymity, and John Q. Public

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 17:13:29 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org> wrote:
> I have pulled through any number of papers, publications, websites, books,
> etc. that I still have kicking around, and though it /should/ be enough to
> fill up all my allotted time, I thought a solicitation for help and pointers
> couldn't hurt.
>
> If you were to lead a discussion on privacy and anonymity (regardless of the
> involvement of the Internet), what topics would you want to discuss?  Which
> areas would you want to focus on?  How would you start out?

i've always liked Ian Goldberg's nymity slider as a description of
identity and how you disclose/leak/protect it.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/~iang/thesis.html

if i were in your situation i think a high level overview of identity
and nymity (along the lines of the nymity slider) followed by specific
privacy enhancing technologies would work well.  perhaps covering:
- anonymous email (mixnets) and browsing/sessions (tor/onions)
- pseudonymous communication with aliases. (Off-the-Record?  blogs?)
- security and least privilege?

i'd be curious to know what you put together; this would be a helpful
resource for me and others i'm sure.