[Clips] EFF: AT&T forwards all Internet traffic into NSA

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 12:37:56 PDT 2006

On 4/7/06, J.A. Terranson <measl at mfn.org> wrote:
> When the NSA (via the FBI) first asked everyone to participate in these
> games (early 2002), I had the happy privilege of telling the FBI flunky
> personally that they could go to hell (at Savvis - warning, then was then,
> and NOT now: things have likely changed with Koen running the show now).
>
> At the time, the only incentive was "Helping your country" <barf> - if
> they have added financial incentives, I'd love to know how these monies
> could be delivered without being disclosed by the telcos.

indeed; the laundering would be well implemented.  it's unlikely
highly visible raw cash infusions are the mechanism, more likely
ancillary benefits in equipment, "unrelated" contracts, facilities,
and other infrastructure.

i've seen too much infrastructure build out in these
post-telecom-crash years (esp. landing points and backbone/gigapop)
that just seems suspect.  perhaps this also falls under the various
"critical infrastructure protection" programs juiced with cash post
9/11 with passive taps as added bonus.