[jwales at wikia.com: Re: [roy at rant-central.com: Re: [arma at mit.edu: Re: Wikipedia & Tor]]]

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Sep 28 01:53:20 PDT 2005

> ----- Forwarded message from Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> -----
> We are not looking for a perfect solution.  Yes, Wikis will be
> vandalized.  We're prepared to deal with that, we do deal with that.
> But what I am seeking is some efforts to think usefully about how to
> helpfully reconcile our dual goals of openness and privacy.

Wikipedia should allow Tor users to register Wikipedia nyms.
Then they could block:
     Tor users trying to edit without a nym;
     Tor users trying to edit with a nym that has a bad reputation;
and they could rate-limit
     Tor users trying to edit with a nym that has insufficient history
     to be classified as good or bad;
while not blocking
     Tor users trying to edit with a nym that has a good reputation.

This will require some changes to the MediaWiki software that Wikipedia
uses.  AFAIK, there's currently no way to rate-limit nyms that have
insufficient history, and blocks on IP addresses are currently all or
nothing.

--apb (Alan Barrett)