[roy at rant-central.com: Re: [jwales at wikia.com: Re:

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Sep 28 06:27:12 PDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>What is it that we don't get?
>
> That Tor is working as designed, and that the problem with bad actors using
its
> cloak is a problem with the actors themselves.

"Finally, we note that exit abuse must not be dismissed as a peripheral
issue: when a system's public image suffers, it can reduce the number
and diversity of that system's users, and thereby reduce the anonymity
of the system itself."

I'm pleased to report that the original design documents rightly agree
with me that the it is in the interest of the longterm success of the
Tor project that an attitude of throwing up our hands in defeat is not
enough.

> Those people are not sticking their heads in the sand.  They're correctly
noting
> that nothing is broken except the bad actors.

That *is* sticking their heads in the sand.

Yes, we can lay moral blame on the bad actors.  That's fine.  Let's all
stop typing for a minute or two and just _hate_ them for it.  Ok, now we
all feel better. :-)

But now we're back to the question: how can Tor be improved to deal with
this very serious and important problem?  What are the steps that might
be taken, however imperfect, to reduce the amount of abuse coming from
Tor nodes?

--Jimbo

----- End forwarded message -----