/. [How Chinese Evade Government's Web Controls]

Peter Thoenen eol1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 11:48:31 PDT 2005

Chinese Web Controls and Tor ... a subject I happen to have close personal
experience with.  Just took a three week vacation to Dali, China and after
hitting the Great Firewall of China (tm), hopped over to the eff site,
downloaded tor and privoxy, and 10 minutes later was up and running bypassing
the supposed Great Firewall.  While I was at it, grabbed i2p and punched right
through also utilizing the i2p www proxy.

As much as folk want to rail against Tor for allowing malicious users to mask
their identity, it really does serve a higher purpose.

As for the WSJ article, EFF or I2P really needs advertise better.  Why pay
local Chinese Internet Cafe owners when you can punch right through for free.