[dave at farber.net: [IP] Request: Check your cell phone to see if it's always transmitting your location [priv]]

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Thu Sep 22 07:54:15 PDT 2005

"R.A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
> Fixed *that*.

I've had my location off (as much as is possible) since I had my first
phone that had the option, a Samsung A500.  Unfortunately, that phone
had a firmware bug (never fixed while I had it) such that, when it was
in non-location mode, upon losing contact with the network, it would be
unable to reconnect (thus, unable to place or receive calls) until
powered off and then on again.

The moral of the story: very few people turn the location stuff off.
Otherwise, they'd have fixed this bug much sooner, as it made the phone
more or less unusable for those who cared to do so.

--
Riad S. Wahby
rsw at jfet.org