Tor VoIP, & etc...

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Tue Sep 6 21:35:29 PDT 2005

Thus spake Shawn K. Quinn (skquinn at speakeasy.net) [06/09/05 09:22]:
: > TOR can only contact other entry/mid/exit nodes on the ports they're
: > listening on.  The documentation actually requests that people set up nodes
: > on TCP ports 80 and 443, for the exact case that this Houston, TX library
: > seems to be in.
:
: The bigger problem is convincing the library's computer to run your
: software without getting caught. Even then, there's no guarantee that
: the computers have direct Internet access; it's likely everything is
: funneled through proxies.

Generally speaking, it's not terribly difficult to convince a library
computer to run your software.  Especially if there's anything from MS
Office installed.  And whether or not it's funneled through proxies doesn't
matter one bit: you're submitted a valid HTTP request to a valid HTTP port.
There's no reason the proxy would reject your request.

At this point, I think I'll put my money where my mouth is, and try running
a TOR node (client only) at my local library.  See what happens.