[syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil: Re: Tor on USB]

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Sun Sep 4 10:52:24 PDT 2005

Thus spake Bill Stewart (bill.stewart at pobox.com) [04/09/05 01:27]:
: At 08:53 AM 9/3/2005, Damian Gerow wrote:
: >Though, you can just skip all that, walk in to Starbucks, sit down, and
: >start using your TOR node as your own entry point.  No registration, no
: >wait, no nothing: just sit down and go.  I just set a node up a few days
: >ago, and was surprised at how simple it was to get TOR up and going.
:
: How does TOR feel about NAT and various firewall things?
: I've been at hotels where I can't even get my ipsec VPN to work.

Well, the running a server won't work well:

    <http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#head-802c24d6b147d55961204105863eed70362ed57f>

But given that it's just initiating outbound TCP connections, so long as the
firewall permits connections on those ports, it /should/ work fine.

Give it a shot, see how it works.