Tor VoIP, & etc...

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 3 21:08:32 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 13:56 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> In other words, am I contributing to the greater Tor network if I
> allow my USB Tor node to function while I'm sucking down a cappucino
> or two?

For the people that only route stuff like HTTP traffic through your Tor
node, it will be a benefit. If I'm IRCing and get routed through your
node, that's a different story (but it's no different than the bad old
days of IIP where people dropped off by the dozens when someone shut
down their computer). A Mixmaster remailer where the mail was transacted
at public Internet access points would be much more useful. It would
actually be funny if someone did this and named the node "starbuck".

Anyway, as others have said, your node will only be able to function as
middleman in such a setup, because by the time you register your IP will
change unless you camp out in the Starbucks parking lot. Not that
middleman is not useful, mind you (this applies to both Tor and
Mixmaster).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>