[syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil: Re: Tor on USB]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 3 05:44:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:44:36PM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:

> In other words, if I go into a Starbucks with this thing, can my laptop or
> whatever start acting like a temporary Tor node?

I don't see why not, you'd be just middleman.

If you want to wind up on this list
http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/exit.pl
you'll have to submit your stats, and it will take a day or two.

> That's a very fascinating concept: A temporary, transient Tor network. Any
> node on this network could cease to exist by the time someone tried to jam
> large portions of it. Or at least, their attacks would have to be a hell of
> a lot more flexible.

An ephemeral P2P traffic remixing system with high node density in address
space
could bootstrap very quickly just from rendezvousing/scanning some random net
blocks.