[syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil: Re: Tor on USB]

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Sat Sep 3 08:53:55 PDT 2005

Thus spake Tyler Durden (camera_lumina at hotmail.com) [02/09/05 19:45]:
: How long will it take the Greater Tor Network to notice the existence of
: this little node?

A few days after you register.

: In other words, if I go into a Starbucks with this thing, can my laptop or
: whatever start acting like a temporary Tor node?

Yep.  But I'm not sure you'd want to do that...

AFAIK, TOR can handle dynamic addresses.  So long as you've got a public
address, you can act as a TOR entry/exit point.  So you could, in theory,
set up a TOR entry/exit point on your local Starbuck's network.  All you'd
have to do is register, and jump a few hoops to register your dynamic
address.

I don't know if the same holds true if it's not a public address.

Though, you can just skip all that, walk in to Starbucks, sit down, and
start using your TOR node as your own entry point.  No registration, no
wait, no nothing: just sit down and go.  I just set a node up a few days
ago, and was surprised at how simple it was to get TOR up and going.