packet traffic analysis

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Mon Oct 31 06:54:48 PST 2005

In the context of:

Travis H. wrote:

> I'm not so sure.  If we're talking about thwarting traffic on the link
> level (real circuit) or on the virtual-circuit level, then you're
> adding, on average, a half-packet latency whenever you want to send a
> real packet.

I very much doubt it.  Where did that factor of "half" come frome.

> I don't see any reason why it's necessary to pay these costs if you
> abandon the idea of generating only equal-length packets

Ah, but if you generate unequal-length packets then they are
vulnerable to length-analysis, which is a form of traffic analysis.
I've seen analysis systems that do exactly this.  So the question is,
are you trying to thwart traffic analysis, or not?

> I should point out that encrypting PRNG output may be pointless,

*is* pointless, as previously discussed.

> and
> perhaps one optimization is to stop encrypting when switching on the
> chaff.

A better solution would be to leave the encryption on and use constants
(not PRNG output) for the chaff, as previously discussed.

> Some minor details
> involving resynchronizing when the PRNG happens to

The notion of synchronized PRNGs is IMHO crazy -- complicated as well as
utterly unnecessary.