Multiple passports?

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sun Oct 30 15:57:09 PST 2005

On 2005-10-29T21:17:25-0700, Gregory Hicks wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 03:05:25 +0000
> > From: Justin <justin-cypherpunks at soze.net>
> >
> > If I apply for a new one now, and then apply for a another one once
> > the gov starts RFID-enabling them, will the first one be
> > invalidated?  Or can I have two passports, the one without RFID to
> > use, and the one with RFID to play with?
>
> I am not a State Dept person, but my experiences in this are...
>
> As for applying for one now, I think the deadline for the non-RFID
> passwords is about 3 days away (31 Oct 2005), but I could be wrong.
> (In other words, if your application is not in processing by 31 Oct,
> then you get the new, improved, RFID passport.)

"The Department intends to begin the electronic passport program in
December 2005. The first stage will be a pilot program in which the
electronic passports will be issued to U.S. Government employees who
use Official or Diplomatic passports for government travel. This pilot
program will permit a limited number of passports to be issued and
field tested prior to the first issuance to the American traveling
public, slated for early 2006. By October 2006, all U.S. passports,
with the exception of a small number of emergency passports issued by
U.S. embassies or consulates, will be electronic passports."

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2005/05-21284.htm (2005-10-25 Fed. Reg.)

It sounds like it's fairly safe to get a new passport after Halloween...
at least until January.

--
The six phases of a project:
I. Enthusiasm.         IV. Search for the Guilty.