[dave at farber.net: [IP] more on U.S. passports to receive RFID implants start

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Oct 30 10:17:45 PST 2005

At 01:31 AM 10/30/05 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>They've said they'll fall back on the traditional
>"If we can't read the passport it's invalid and you'll need to
>replace it before we'll let you leave the country" technique,
>just as they often do with expired passports and sometimes

What is the procedure (or are they secret :-) for passports which
become damaged whilst travelling out of country?

With a drivers license, if the magstrip doesn't work, they type
in the numbers.  But the biometrics are not encoded, its just
a convenience.  With a passport, they're relying on the
chip or no?

(Mechanical damage to the chip should work as well as
RF or antenna damage.  You will have to find the chip
and crack it, mere flexing of the paper carrier doesn't work
by design.)