Return of the death of cypherpunks.

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Oct 29 09:36:56 PDT 2005

    --
James A. Donald:
> > Since cryptography these days is routine and
> > uncontroversial, there is no longer any strong
> > reason for the cypherpunks list to continue to
> > exist.

John Kelsey
> The ratio of political wanking to technical posts and
> of talkers to thinkers to coders needs to be right for
> the list to be interesting.

These days, if one is seriously working on overthrowing
the state by advancing to crypto anarchy (meaning both
anarchy that is hidden, in that large scale cooperation
procedes without the state taxing it, regulating it,
supervising it, and licensing it, and anarchy that
relies on cryptography to resist the state) it is not
necessary or advisable to announce what one is up to.

For example, Kerberos needs to be replaced by a more
secure protocol.  No need to add "And I am concerned
about this because I am an anarchist"  And so one
discusses it on another list.

(Kerberos tickets are small meaningful encrypted packets
of information, when they should be random numbers.
Being small, they can be dictionary attacked.)

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Y068Cy3Zv9GExXRbP24QJP5WmHGLz5VKyqNYFKbx
     45fkOIGeiTkFnaM7p/URjB/kgn+0mcg8fMsMLmDy7