Return of the death of cypherpunks.

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 18:45:19 PDT 2005

I don't agree.

One thing we do know is that, although Crypto is available and, in special
contexts, used, it's use in other contexts is almost counterproduct, sending
up a red flag so that those that "Protect Our Freedoms" will come sniffing
around and bring to bear their full arsenal of technologies and, possibly,
dirty tricks. Merely knowing that you are using stego/crypto in such
contexts can cause a lot of attention come your way, possibly in actual
meatspace, which in many cases is almost worse than not using crypto at all

In addition, although strong and "unbreakable" Crypto exists, one thing a
stint on Cypherpunks teaches you is that it is only rarely implemented in
such a way as to actually be unbreakable to a determined attacker,
particularly if there are not many such cases to examine in such contexts.

The clear moral of this story is that, to increase the odds of truly secure
communication, etc, Crypto in such contexts must become much more
ubiquitous, and I still think Cypherpunks has a role to play there and
indeed has played that role. Such a role is, of course, far more than a mere
cheerleading role,a fact that merits a continued existence for Cypherpunks
in some form or another.

-TD

Only when Crypto is used ubiquitousl