[IP] more on U.S. passports to receive RFID implants

Edward Hasbrouck edward at hasbrouck.org
Fri Oct 28 11:07:28 PDT 2005

starting in October 2006 [priv]

>From: "Lin, Herb" <HLin at nas.edu>
>
>*Front* cover?  Does that mean that if I hold the passport the wrong
>way, the skimmer will have a free ride?

FWIW:

(1) The sample RFID passports that Frank Moss passed around at CFP,
which
looked like <http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2501.html>, had
the RFID chip (which was barely detectable by feel) in the *back* cover.
The visible data page was/is, as with current passports, in the *front*
cover.  This is not compliant with the ICAO specifications, which
recommend having the chip in the same page as the visible data, to
make it
more difficult to separate them.  I can only guess that it was hard to
laminate the visible data without damaging the chip, if it was in the
same
page.  But it's interesting in light of the importance supposedly being
placed on compliance with ICAO standards.

(2) Moss had 2 sample RFID passports, 1 with and 1 without the
shielding.
He cliamed it was a layer in the entire outer cover (front and back),
but
it wasn't detectable by feel.

I have more threat scenarios for the latest flavor of RFID passport at:

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000869.html

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward at hasbrouck.org>
<http://hasbrouck.org>