blocking fair use? 2 Science Groups Say Kansas Can't Use Their Evolution Papers

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Thu Oct 27 14:41:13 PDT 2005

Here's a very interesting case where (c)holders are trying
to ban "fair use" (educational) of (c) material.   I agree with
their motivations ---Kansan theo-edu-crats need killing for their
continuing child abuse--  but I don't see how they can get around the
fair use provisions.

(Bypassing whether the state should run schools, or even pay for them,
for now.)

   2 Science Groups Say Kansas Can't Use Their Evolution Papers

Sign In to E-Mail This
Printer-Friendly
Reprints
Save Article
By JODI WILGOREN
Published: October 27, 2005
CHICAGO, Oct. 27 - Two leading science organizations have denied the
Kansas board of education permission to use their copyrighted materials
in the state's proposed new science standards because of the standards'
critical approach to evolution.

The National Academy of Sciences and the National Science Teachers
Association said the much-disputed new standards "will put the students
of Kansas at a competitive disadvantage as they take their place in the
world."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/27/national/27cnd-kansas.html?hp&ex=1130472000&en=8207d57fc0db8eca&ei=5094&partner=homepage