[p2p-hackers] P2P Authentication

Kerry Bonin kerry at vscape.com
Thu Oct 27 06:52:57 PDT 2005

There are only two good ways to provide man-in-the-middle resistant
authentication with key repudiation in a distributed system - using a
completely trusted out of band channel to manage everything, or use a
PKI.  I've used PKI for >100k node systems, it works great if you keep
it simple and integrate your CRL mechanism - in a distributed system the
pieces are all already there!  I think some people are put off by the
size and complexity of the libraries involved, which doesn't have to be
the case - I've got a complete RSA/DSA X.509 compliant cert based PKI
(leveraging LibTomCrypt for crypto primitives) in about 2k lines of C++,
<30k object code, works great (I'll open that source as LGPL when I
deploy next year...)  The only hard part about integrating into a p2p
network is securing the CA's, and that's more of a network security
problem than a p2p problem...

Kerry