Judy Miller needing killing

Gil Hamilton gil_hamilton at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:22:43 PDT 2005

Dave Howe wrote:
>Gil Hamilton wrote:
> > The problem is that reporters want to be made into a special class of
> > people that don't have to abide by the same laws as the rest of us.  Are
> > you a reporter?  Am I?  Is the National Inquirer?  How about Drudge?
> > What about bloggers?  Which agency will you have to apply to in order to
> > get a Journalism License?  And will this License to Report entitle one
> > to ignore subpoenas from federal grand juries?
>   Problem there is - Miller didn't write the story, pass on the info to
>anyone
>else, or indeed do much more than have a conversation with an unnamed
>source
>where a classified name was revealed.  The Grand Jury is aware that Miller
>had
>this info but refused to reveal who the informant was.

I've never heard it disclosed how the prosecutor discovered that Miller had
had such a conversation but it isn't relevant anyway.  The question is, can
she defy a subpoena based on membership in the privileged Reporter class
that an "ordinary" person could not defy?

>   On the other hand - Robert Novak got the same information, REPORTED it -
>and
>isn't in any sort of trouble at all. Somehow this isn't the issue though...
>and
>I wonder why?

I don't know this either; perhaps because he immediately rolled over when he
got subpoenaed?

GH