Judy Miller needing killing

Shawn Duffy shawnduffy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 10:21:24 PDT 2005

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as protecting a source.

Most shield laws, or proposed shield laws, as I understand them,
protect a journalist from revealing a source who is exposing
wrongdoing that is in the public interest.  This is not the same
thing.  The act of leaking the identity of Ms. Plame is, itself, a
crime, not the exposing of wrongdoing.  Now, sending her to jail
certainly betrays the spirit of shield laws, but freedom of the press
does not necessarily protect a journalist who is shielding a felon.