Surreptitious Tor Messages?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 07:55:30 PDT 2005

Can anyone suggest a tool for checking to see if my Tor client is performing
any surreptitious signaling?

Seems to me there's a couple of possibilities for a TLA or someone else to
monitor Tor users. Tor clients purchased online or whatever could possibly
signal a monitoring agency for when and possibly where the user is online.
This would mean that at bootup, some surreptitious packets could be fired
off.

The problem here is that a clever TLA might be able to hide its POP behind
the Tor network, so merely checking on IP addresses on outgoing packets
wouldn't work.

Can anyone recommend a nice little package that can be used to check for
unusual packets leaving my machine through the tor client?

-TD