[zooko at zooko.com: [p2p-hackers] darknet ~= (blacknet, f2f net)]

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Tue Nov 29 10:32:25 PST 2005

Tyler Durden wrote:

> Huh? What's this guy's fixation on -illegal- actitivty?

A cynical man would suggest that he's already been co-opted by MwG and MSM.

> The point is anonymous activity (including monetary) that can happen
> to bypass observation & control by authorities. It may or may not be
> illegal. The legality, in fact, is largely irrelevant once the
> transactions start moving through such a blacknet.
>
> The reason this matters is precisely because we shouldn't be equating
> illegal activity with anonymous activity. "You're using a blacknet
> therefore you're breaking the law".
>
> Next we'll be saying that a Tor network is for illegally observing or
> transmitting information.

But this is nothing new.  The MwG's trend for many years has been to
conflate anonymity with illegality.  The recent news about BitTorrent
"cooperating" with ??AA, for example, seems more about "clearing"
BitTorrent's name than anything else.  Anonymity does not serve the
(police) state.

--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT