"Copying"...what does that mean?

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sat Nov 26 10:04:20 PST 2005

On 2005-11-26T00:41:54+0000, Dave Howe wrote:
> Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> > More hilarious is when javascript is used to prevent saving
> > images.  Even if you get the OS to obey, there are always
> > cheap cameras.   An older videocam can be used to copy
> > a movie off your screen (like a first gen cassette) even if
> > all the video D/As are 0wned by the MPAA and forced
> > to have DRM.  (Don't think it can happen?  Look at
> > CALEA & Skype, etc.)
> Aren't the majority of 0-day "copies" of just released movies camcorder
> recordings from inside a cinema?

Yes, and 3-7 day "copies" of popular movies are done on telecine
machines.  Basically, the groups find a friendly movie theater worker,
and they take in a telecine machine after hours and have some one-on-one
time with the film reels.  Telecines copies are quite good.

Real D/D copies don't come out until closer to the dvd release date,
when the first studio-internal dvds are made.. usually months after
release.  Sometimes the studios make early screener dvds for movies,
generally low-budget limited-release movies, and generally toward the
end of the year, the objective (I think) being a shot at the oscars.

--
The six phases of a project:
I. Enthusiasm.         IV. Search for the Guilty.