"Copying"...what does that mean?

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Nov 23 18:23:29 PST 2005

At 11:30 PM 11/21/05 -0600, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>This reminds me of something else: to a computer, playing is simply a
>form of copying, the output is simply a video card and/or sound card.
>Isn't this is, in fact, what makes computers so powerful, that they
>simply obey instructions without asking questions? Isn't this why every

>attempt to block "unauthorized" copying has failed in the end, because
>the reality is that if it can be played, it can be copied, because
>playing *is* copying from the point of view of the computer programs?

The most hilarious thing is when a web site "prohibits" copying,
even though to view it, you've copied it to your disk.

More hilarious is when javascript is used to prevent saving
images.  Even if you get the OS to obey, there are always
cheap cameras.   An older videocam can be used to copy
a movie off your screen (like a first gen cassette) even if
all the video D/As are 0wned by the MPAA and forced
to have DRM.  (Don't think it can happen?  Look at
CALEA & Skype, etc.)