[Clips] U.S. Has Detained 83,000 in War on Terror

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sun Nov 20 15:08:33 PST 2005

On 2005-11-20T13:38:05-0800, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> >KATHERINE SHRADER:
> Perhaps the most publicly controversial technique is waterboarding, when
> detainee is strapped to a board and has water run over him to simulate
> drowning.<
>
> No, its where you nearly drown someone, by teeter-tottering him
> into a tub, not just "run water over him".  For extra fun blows with
> a rifle butt while submerged add poignancy.

Nothing unusual about the press getting things wrong.

As I understand it, you bind someone to a board, incline it fairly
steeply with feet above head, and dunk just their head.  They actually
feel like they're drowning, but since the lungs are above water level,
it's hard for them to actually drown.  Harder, at least, than it would
be to suffocate them using cellophane and dunking them, which is the
version I got from the media.

Pneumonia and things of that sort might be a problem, if the torturee
isn't in great health.

--
The six phases of a project:
I. Enthusiasm.         IV. Search for the Guilty.