[Clips] Feds mull regulation of quantum computers

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:02:29 PST 2005

>It would be good to have nontrivial qubit assemblies at all in in
>*solid state*. I don't think anyone has QC working yet. It's not
>obvious it is at all usable, even for number factoring (entangling
>and keeping entangled a large qubit constellation, error correction,
>suitable
>QC algorithms, etc). Does at all elliptical curve crypto map well to QC?

There's actually been quantum error correction for as long as ten years
already, so I suspect that somewhere deep underground in the greater DC-area
there's a giant QC that's actually starting to do some interesting things.
But I'd also bet any amount of $$$ it's more than a decade behind anything
in the electronic domain. The knee in the curve is several years away.

The mapping between elliptical curve crypto and quantum algorithms is a very
interesting question that I have no idea of. No doubt, however, the
affinities (or lack thereof) is already known. Look for telltale odd
standards-bodies pushes towards certain approaches.

-TD