/. [Intel Adds DRM to New Chips]

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 08:44:41 PDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote...

>Online activation of software is already quite widespread, so it seems
>customers are willing to accept restriction to ownership and use.

Well, that's an interesting phenomenon. In industrialized nations where the
price of software is fairly low compared to the wages, people seem somewhat
willing to pay. At least, we don't see ticket sales for big movies going
down at all. So it could be that people will eventually voluntarily release
control, as long as the consequences (ie, prices) aren't too high. On the
other hand, the whole P2P phenomenon is not happening simply because people
don't want to pay. Stupid industry execs will probably continue churning out
the same stupid shit they always did and P2Pers will find some way around
their "protection" if needs be.