/. [Intel Adds DRM to New Chips]

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat May 28 20:26:28 PDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote...

>    from the get-you-where-you-live dept.
>    Badluck writes "Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail
>    of controlling copyright through the motherboard has moved a step
>    closer with Intel Corp. now embedding [1]digital rights management
>    within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying
>    945 chipset. Officially launched worldwide on the May 26, the new
>    offerings come [2]DRM -enabled and will, at least in theory, allow
>    copyright holders to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of
>    copyrighted materials from the motherboard rather than through the
>    operating system as is currently the case..." [3]The Inquirer has the
>    story as well.

(Continued)
"Contrary to expectations, however, sales of the chip have been suprisingly
low, with zero interest shown by major PC manufacturers. One major PC
industry executive, who wished to remain anonymous sated: "There are 100s of
millions of people trading files every day throughout the globe. I'm going
to start using this chip and give up that market because...?"

OK, Gov officials will eventually start trying to introduce laws mandating
such technologies be used, but by then it's going to come down to a battle
of lobbies: The Entertainment industry vs Telecom+PCs++Software. Which can
pump dollars into Senatorial hands faster?

-TD