[Politech] Are the encryption wars really over? Maybe not [priv]

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed May 25 19:09:53 PDT 2005

Whether the crypto wars are over depends on what you consider the
dispute to be about in the first place. In the export-control sense,
yep, we've won. We may not have had a resounding Supreme Court victory
on First Amendment grounds, but the original regs proved politically
untenable.

How about domestic restrictions? That never really got off the ground in
the U.S., even in the darkest days of the 1990s.

But either could return swiftly. All it would take for a bill to be
introduced is for Al Qaeda to have encrypted information that could have
saved thousands of American lives were it decrypted in time. (Life does
not follow the TV show "24".) See:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02509.html
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02550.html

I wouldn't be surprised if such a law would permit non-escrowed crypto
to be used to secure communication streams while requiring .gov
backdoors in crypto used for hard drive or file encryption. In other
words, GPG and PGPdisk might become verboten. Programmers might sensibly
scoff, but that's the way the Feds think.

How about other restrictions? I don't think the crypto-in-a-crime idea
ever got enacted into law, but a Minnesota court this month moved in
that direction:
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-5718978.html

In other words, the war is probably not over. It's just in a multi-year
lull. The correct preventative tactic to employ right now is to follow
the IPv6 model and seed both disk and communication-stream encryption
wherever it makes sense. Then it becomes more politically difficult to
outlaw.

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/24/crypto-wars-are/

-Declan