[Dissidents Seeking Anonymous Web Solutions?]

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon May 23 19:19:07 PDT 2005

At 03:03 PM 5/17/05 -0700, cypherpunk wrote:
>>    [1]DocMurphy asks: "I'm working with some dissidents who are
looking
>>    for ways to use the Internet from within repressive regimes. Many
have
>>    in-home Internet access, but think it too risky to participate in
>>    pro-freedom activities on home PCs.

(Could be a lot of groups in the US.)  The best way to interactively
surf anonymously
is to find an unsecured WiFi net and kick back.   Use a forged MAC, and
watch your
driving habits.  The walls have eyes.

Stego is ok if the site is word of mouth (no DNS, no port 80) anyway,
kind of a
secret knock to get in the speakeasy.  But humans get compromised and
the B34ST
logs the site's traffic.

Stego is fine for placing an order with a dissident vendor for a few
drams, but a dissident wanting
mass meme infection needs to anonymously broadcast, and to everyone.
That SMS/ Sprint hack recently
posted strikes me as appealing...

(And we don't need no ex-navy dolphin to jack the bandwidth...)

------
Three minutes. This is it - ground zero.
                            Would you like to say a few words to mark
the occasion?
                            Narrator: ...i... ann... iinn... ff...
nnyin...
                            Narrator: [Voice over] With a gun barrel
between your
                            teeth, you speak only in vowels.
                            [Tyler removes the gun from the Narrator's
mouth]
                            Narrator: I can't think of anything.
                            Narrator: [Voice over] For a second I
totally forgot about
                            Tyler's whole controlled demolition thing
and I wonder
                            how clean that gun is.